The aim of the Sanctuary in Politics course is to:
- Educate people seeking sanctuary in the UK about its political system and history;
- Empower people with lived experience to work with the media, and get involved with public speaking, awareness raising and advocacy;
- Ensure that the voices of people directly affected by sanctuary issues are heard by the media, the public and policy-makers.
Using a series of presentations, interactive teaching sessions, facilitated discussions, assignments and placements, this course helps equip a new generation of refugee and migrant leaders to reach their full potential in a diverse, outward-looking 21st century UK.
The ultimate aim is for a new generation of ‘Sanctuary Ambassadors’ to be empowered and equipped to bring the voice of people who seekeing sanctuary into mainstream society.
The training covers:
- Public speaking, confidence, and storytelling skills,
- An introduction to the UK political system and ways of political engagement,
- Campaigning and advocacy techniques,
- Working with the media to promote stories of Sanctuary.
Sanctuary Ambassadors will be invited to join the next course when it becomes available
Please email Megan Greenwood if you would like to find out more about Sanctuary in Politics.