What is a Sanctuary Ambassador?
Sanctuary Ambassadors are people with lived experience of seeking sanctuary who share and advocate our vision that the UK will be a welcoming place of safety for all in offering sanctuary to people fleeing violence and persecution.
People seeking sanctuary are at the heart of City of Sanctuary UK, their voices, views, experiences and participation are central to shaping the work we do. We recognise, however, that people with lived experience have too often been unheard and spoken for, rather than given the opportunities to participate fully in the sanctuary movement. The Sanctuary Ambassador Network therefore aims to promote the voices and celebrate the contributions of people seeking sanctuary across every sphere and sector of society.
Sanctuary Ambassadors are guided by City of Sanctuary UK’s core values of inclusiveness, openness, participation, inspiration and integrity as well as our Network Principles which can be found on our website.
- Sharing your story and involvement with City of Sanctuary through our website or a trusted media source
- Representing City of Sanctuary at events (meetings, conferences, and Sanctuary in Parliament)
- Participating in a social media filmmaking project, podcasts,
- Communicating key events or campaigns to your community
- Reviewing and commenting on Sanctuary Award applications, for example a school, university or theatre applying for an award to recognise their commitment to sanctuary.
- Contributing to the development of the streams work through activities or membership of Streams Steering Groups (Universities, Schools, Colleges, Libraries, Health, etc.,)
- Taking a leadership role within a local City of Sanctuary group.
- Writing blogs or news articles for the City of Sanctuary website
- Linking with other organisations which support people seeking sanctuary, locally, nationally or even internationally to share the vision of City of Sanctuary
- Developing social networks of support and welcome in your communities to share skills, interests and build relationships of solidarity
To register to become a Sanctuary Ambassador, please click REGISTER
There are no qualifications required to be a Sanctuary Ambassador and the scheme is open to anyone with lived experience who wants to advocate and share our vision of making the UK a welcoming place of safety for all and proud to offer sanctuary to people fleeing violence and persecution.